Wednesday, June 17, 2009

San Fracisco to San Jose

So last week I worked really hard to make necklaces and hair clips to sell at the Haight Street Festival. I was hoping to sell out and make some gas money. But, I only sold two necklaces and made 30 bucks. Not what I was hoping for, and really neither was the festival. It was basically a big party scene. Everybody was doing drugs and drinking. There was a guy next to me selling glass pipes and he completely sold out of his stock. Everybody and their mom was buying things from him. And literally someones mom. This 40ish couple came by with pleated khaky pants and a polo shirt tucked in, buying a pipe. All the trannies walking by and addicts gathering together. It was a sad a broken place. It was literally the fringes of society. But, God sees each of their faces and wants to save them all. Unfortunately, most of them don't want to be saved. I did however get to share the gospel with two different people. I remember sitting there asking for God to send me whoever was ready to hear the gospel, it's hard to believe there was only 2 out of thousands! But that is our God isn't it? Leave the flock to find the one lost sheep? There was this really creepy guy that was walking around me when I was out there. Honestly I felt like he was possessed or something. Have you ever seen a video of a shark? Well you know how they don't look at you but sorta just swim by looking scary? That is how this guy looked. He didn't look at me but walked by multiple times and I just got this uneasy feeling of danger. I felt like it was army against army. I began to pray for all the people that those spirits were torturing that they would be set free and for that particular stronghold of satan's to be released. I also felt like he wanted to rob me, and when I put my backpack on and faced him square with a pointed look in my eye, he still had that blank look in his eye. Like he wasn't searching for something specific, just something. It was really scary. But nothing bad happened. God really is watching out for me.

Now I am in San Jose and staying at my aunt and uncle's house. I get to be plugged into electricity!!!! YAY!!! It's weird trying to live in the US as a missionary with just the basics in the middle of American indulgence. We buy anything we want whenever we feel like it. Why doesn't anyone want to hear the gospel? Maybe they are to busy listening to their iPods, I don't know. But as I learn more about missions work here in the US, I am more determined to make a difference. There have been moments where I feel like I am not making progress and that my impact is, at best, minimal in any given area. Granted I do not know the eternal impact of my actions, but we all want to see some kind of outcome from our hard work, right? Well that is my struggle right now. Every place I go I have to forge my way and it can be tiring. This week in San Jose I am looking into partnering with a church to do some outreaches here in the city. I am also trying to find some temp work to make a little gas money. I will admit that Texas seems a little daunting. I would love to go through it having the money I need for gas, but I will have to see how the Lord is going to provide. Apparently my necklaces aren't going to be enough!!!!! Hahahaha. Anyways, so this week I will do some more music and street evangelism and see how things go here. I continue to pray for a harvest and know that no matter what, God called me to this road and He wont leave me!

2 comments:

Kristal said...

Wow Nelly!!! I love this entry!! I love hearing of your adventures! Scary guy...but how powerful our God is to protect you..I admire you so much for going out and doing this...it is something I don't think I could do!! God is going to use you in some huge ways my dear!! I love you..thanks for sharing..I am enjoying it a lot!

Jody said...

I love what you're doing! My pastor here in Chico was sent from San Jose's church called Jubilee. Be strong and courageous girl! You're doing awesome!